Thursday, May 03, 2007

Labor 101

Last night was the night...Pre-Labor class at the hospital. I was so excited, but more for Brian since I feel like I know way more than he does. I thought it was very informative. We got a tour and a lot of the procedures explained to us. It just helped me to have a better picture in my head of what to expect. Then we saw a totally 80's movie about breathing techniques, labor positions, etc. They even showed 2 births- which actually I thought were so gross. I'm glad I won't have to watch it. Brian did surprisingly well, I was so proud. The class was pretty intense since we were the only couple there!! The other couple actually went into labor, so they missed the class!! But when I got home I was swarmed with all of these thoughts. I'm sure every mother has experienced these kinds of thoughts, but it set in. Fear. I kept asking myself, "Am I even old enough for this?" "What happens when we come home, how will we know what to do?" "Am I strong enough for this?" "What if everything is not ready when we have to go to the hospital?" And on and on. I guess reality is setting in- along with the excitement and anxiousness to have our baby girl here, is the fear of how we'll do, and how our lives will change. This morning as I browsed over the labor packet, and did my quiet time, I was amazed at the process of it all and just how fascinating it is, how everything in your body coordinates with the baby, and how it all just simply works!! Brian was reassuring me how people have been giving birth for thousands of years- and how we'll know what to do. So with that said, I really hope I don't become too anxious- that tends to happen to me- and that I can just enjoy the rest of our time together before she comes, and have a peace about whenever she arrives!!!

5 comments:

Brian B said...

Honey don't worry...you will be such an amazing Mom! Don't forget what is known as Mother's Instinct. You will just instinctively know what to do in a lot of situations because that is what God intended and how He made you...I can't wait for her to come, but am definitely enjoyed this time with us 2.

Toevs said...

You really do figure it out. You'll do great!

It is such a surreal feeling when you first see your baby. I remember thinking, "That's my DAUGHTER!" "That's what she looks like... she's beautiful!" I also thought, "She's a little Norma!" That was because she looked like Dave's mom. Savor every moment. The moments pass too quickly!

jenny marvin mealy said...

I remember when the fear set in-it can be overwhelming,but remember-God would not have given you this child without also giving you what it takes to raise this child!

Think about how much you love her-and God loves her even more and He is really the one in control of all of it-so relax and enjoy these last few weeks of being pregnant and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Jaena said...

I can totally relate too, Shannon. As far as things not being ready (both of our babies were born early and when we weren't "ready yet"), all you really need is a car seat, some clothes and diapers to start out. Everything else falls into place eventually. You will be fablulous parents because you have two vital things: God and love for this baby girl...th rest can be learned.

Lisa said...

Birthing videos! UGH! Does it really happen that way? Do you really have 4 kids watching on while you give birth? Do you really giggle and smile after it all? Oh goodness! I can't say it was like the video, but then, that was the 80's, right? (Ronda remembers the 80's better - but Dave remembers them even more!)

There is such an awe-feeling when you hold your baby in your arms for the first time. You see a small peek at their personality, and instantly fall in love. (It isn't always quite so instant with the dads...just ask Phil).

You'll do great. No video, no person, and no story can ever prepare you for what it will be like giving birth (naturally or by c-section), or what it will be like when you take that baby home and have to stay up all night, feed, doze, feed, change the diapers, etc, but it is THE MOST REWARDING thing you will ever do (yes, there are days I'd do anything to pack my bags and leave, but I never really leave, and I'd always come back...even if it were just for the hugs, kisses, and SNUGGLES!).